Deliverable 5 – Hypothesis Tests for Two Samples
Dealing with Two Populations
Inferential statistics involves forming conclusions about a population parameter. We do so by constructing confidence intervals and testing claims about a population mean and other statistics. Typically, these methods deal with a sample from one population. We can extend the methods to situations involving two populations (and there are many such applications). This deliverable looks at two scenarios.
Concept being Studied
Your focus is on hypothesis tests and confidence intervals for two populations using two samples, some of which are independent and some of which are dependent. These concepts are an extension of hypothesis testing and confidence intervals which use statistics from one sample to make conclusions about population parameters.
Student Success Criteria
View the grading rubric for this deliverable by selecting the “This item is graded with a rubric” link, which is located in the Details & Information pane.
What to Submit
Your research and analysis should be presented on the spreadsheet provided.
Instructions: The following worksheets describe two problems – the first problem is for independent samples and the second problem is for dependent samples. Your job is to demonstrate the solution to each scenario by showing how to work through each problem in detail. You are expected to explain all of the steps in your own words.
|Low Lead Level||High Lead Level|
1. Write the hypotheses in symbolic form, determine if the test is right-tailed, left-tailed, or two tailed and explain why.
2. Calculate the critical value, the test statistic, and p-value. Show calculations below.
3. Make a decision about the null hypothesis and explain your reasoning, then make a conclusion about the claim in nontechnical terms.
Independent Samples A researcher conducted a test to learn the effect of lead levels in human bodies. He collected the IQ scores for a random sample of subjects with low lead levels in their blood and another random sample of subjects with high lead levels in their blood. The summary of finding is listed below. Use a 0.05 significance level to test the claim that the mean IQ score of people with low lead levels is higher than the mean IQ score of people with high lead levels. We do not know the values of the population standard deviations.
|Days of Release/Book||Phoenix||Prince|
4. Write the hypotheses in symbolic form, determine if the test is right-tailed, left-tailed, or two tailed and explain why.
5. Calculate the critical value, the test statistic, and p-value. Show calculations below.
6. Make a decision about the null hypothesis and explain your reasoning, then make a conclusion about the claim in nontechnical terms.
Dependent Samples The Harry Potter books and movies made a lot of money. A fan wanted to learn which of his favorite movies made more money. He collected the amounts grossed in millions during the first few days of releases of the movies Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince and Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. Use a 0.05 significance level to test his claim that the Prince movie did better at the box office. Use the p-value method to determine whether or not to reject the null hypothesis and state your conclusion.
We are a professional custom writing website. If you have searched a question and bumped into our website just know you are in the right place to get help in your coursework.
Yes. We have posted over our previous orders to display our experience. Since we have done this question before, we can also do it for you. To make sure we do it perfectly, please fill our Order Form. Filling the order form correctly will assist our team in referencing, specifications and future communication.
2. Fill in your paper’s requirements in the "PAPER INFORMATION" section and click “PRICE CALCULATION” at the bottom to calculate your order price.
3. Fill in your paper’s academic level, deadline and the required number of pages from the drop-down menus.
4. Click “FINAL STEP” to enter your registration details and get an account with us for record keeping and then, click on “PROCEED TO CHECKOUT” at the bottom of the page.
5. From there, the payment sections will show, follow the guided payment process and your order will be available for our writing team to work on it.